Re: Hot swap IDE

From: Andre Hedrick (andre@linux-ide.org)
Date: Fri Oct 06 2000 - 03:55:26 EST

Unless you have a special bay that tri-states the buss or a host that does
it for the requested channel (yes that disables both devices) you can do
this once per mainboard.

There was a proposal for tri-stating the buss, but that was held for 2.5.
There is a partial reset IOCTL in 2.4, but it needs more additions to
recover the drive state.

Regardless, it can/has/currently can be done, just the general kernels can
not do it yet.

There is a cool card by Iwill that is HPT368 based that does this nicely.

You stoke the card the right way and the drive power goes away, then
stroke it a different way to tri-state the channel...etc
Pull ribbon first then power connector and change drives.

Reconnect power first to set interface to tri-state (obviously the gound
lines define the state) then the ribbon, stroke channel active, then
stroke the power.

Init device rescan (missing), revalidation (present), etc ..

Forgot the rest but it is written somewhere in the cave.

On Thu, 5 Oct 2000, Mitchell Hicks wrote:

> Lots of great info on the list thank you all!!!
> after reading i think most of the software raid howto's and hardware one's
> also..
> I've Built a box with 3 drives and a hot spare..
>
> p iii 500 256meg ram aus mother board (i think via chip set)
> two promise ata66 cards and 5 30 gig maxtor drives in promise ata66 hot
> swap drive bays.
>
> windows nt... just kidding... linux2.4.0-test9 and it's working great...
> worked in test8 test6 was not good....
> I have not had to rebuild the array from scratch since moving to test8 (the
> hotremove did not work)
>
> if i compile the promise drivers then when i power off a drive for testing
> a failure the system freezes(i might not have done the sysrq correctly) i
> have to power off the system....
>
> if i don't compile the promise drivers i can enable DMA (and am very happy
> very FAST).
>
> there does not seem to be a command to reset the IDE buss(this is mentioned
> in the raid howto's) can i compile the IDE drivers as a module and
> remove/install then while the system is running on the raid(i think not)...
> I'm booting from a 20 meg none raid drive (to be raid 1 in final production)
>
> i can replace the drive but it must be with the same type of drive... but
> the system's not really happy about the drive change and complains if the
> drive was partioned ..
>
> ide software raid seems soo close to ready for production...
>
> I have turned the system OFF several times and just turned off one drive...
> then the system while it's rebuilding the array... even booted with a
> failed drive...
>
> I tried some of this stuff with 2.2.16 redhat.... it was ugly.. as in
> complete reinstall and the system could not boot if a drive was failed (i
> accepect that this could be me)
>
> Thank you for your time... and a GREAT OS....
>
> Mitchell Hicks
>
> -

Andre Hedrick
The Linux ATA/IDE guy