Re: Floppy handling and removable media in general

From: Kai Henningsen (kaih@khms.westfalen.de)
Date: Tue Jun 20 2000 - 13:59:00 EST

fg@mandrakesoft.com (Francis Galiegue) wrote on 16.06.00 in <Pine.LNX.4.21.0006161228550.1060-100000@toy.mandrakesoft.com>:

> Second, there's the problem for data caching. My thoughts is that this
> simply should NOT be done for PC floppies, and if one is really paranoid, it
> should not even be done for other types of r/w removable media (because
> pinhole).

I've worked on Unixes that don't cache Floppies, and on those (like Linux)
that do.

And I do not *ever* want to go back.

As for more constructive ideas ...

* notifying Users:

Have a simple interface, much like syslog (perhaps even part of syslog),
whereby the kernel announces what he wants to say. Have a user space demon
who reacts to this. Finding the right user and the right way to contact
him is now a user space problem, which can be solved in any number of
different ways, depending on circumstances.

* making sure floppy does not have too many dirty buffers:

Maybe something like mount -o sync would be useful here. Doing it as a
mount option ought to resolve layering issues.

MfG Kai