Re: Floppy handling and removable media in general

From: Alexander Viro (viro@math.psu.edu)
Date: Fri Jun 16 2000 - 21:00:15 EST

On Fri, 16 Jun 2000, Francis Galiegue wrote:

> Second, there's the problem for data caching. My thoughts is that this simply
> should NOT be done for PC floppies, and if one is really paranoid, it should
> not even be done for other types of r/w removable media (because pinhole).

Caching is done not on a driver level. And if you will try to introduce
gobs of special-case code into every filesystem - expect troubles.

> Removing a floppy on a pending write just deserves the culprit processes to be
> killed with SIGSEGV. When "the LED is on", the floppy should not be ejected.

Uh? We may be writing metadata and current process may have nothing to the
situation - it just happened to apply memory pressure and trigger icache
flush.

> Period. Up to the user to behave.

s/behave/mis&/ - potential for DoS is really nasty here.

> under a mount point which does not even exist? They can just sit there and be
> happy, but we hold a dentry and an inode for nothing. Any use of that

Not possible. Define "nothing", please - what exactly do you propose?

> mountpoint (readdir, open et al) would return EMEDIUMERROR.

mountpoint? What about the stuff under it?